Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Monday, October 11, 2010

Open Air Portraits

For years the standard for photographic portraits involved studio lighting, formal poses and painted backdrops. Then in the 1970's photographers began to experiment more with outdoor photo shoots, making use of natural light and environments and allowing their subjects to relax in front of the camera rather than assuming stiff poses. This type of environmental portraiture seems to have become the norm - on Sunday walks through the park I often see photographers working with a young couple or family on a shoot.

For several years I freelanced as a wedding and portrait photographer but realized it was not my cup of tea. In the ensuing years I sold off my old equipment and focused on happy snaps or artsy photography - no more portrait shoots for me. No more that is until one of my daughters approached me about shooting a portrait of her with her horse. Like I could say no! We picked a pleasant fall day and took advantage of the late afternoon sun near the barn where her horse is stabled. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, dealing with my daughter and a horse bigger than both of us put together, but all went well. I managed to blast off more than two dozen shots before the horse decided he'd had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment