Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wedding Bell Blues (Confessions of a former wedding photographer)

Springtime and a young mans fancy turns to ... well you know. Warm weather and love can only mean wedding season is near. I know because I once dabbled in wedding photography and from April through October there were a lot of weddings taking place.

Originally I planned on making a single entry on the subject, but as I pondered my brief career in wedding photography I realized there is more than one tale to tell. It takes a certain type of personality to succeed in the wedding biz, and to be frank, I ain't that kind of guy. I first became interested in photography as a form of artistic expression and although there are many excellent photographers who are capable of producing art-like results when doing a wedding, I just didn't have the touch. Hours before beginning an assignment I'd have a knot in my stomach anticipating a long day of chasing bride, groom and various friends and family members in an effort to produce worthwhile pictures of their once in a lifetime (hopefully) event.

Overall, I believe I delivered on the promise of a pictorial album for the couple to cherish always, but I really didn't enjoy doing it. And I never experienced the thrill of a great shot, like I do when photographing for my personal work. It was a job, and at times the job was a chore. Not good, when you need to be up and smiling for 10 hours while recording the big event. Still, there were a number of memorable experiences that I plan on sharing in future entrys - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment