Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Confessions of a Former Wedding Photographer Pt 2

My foray into the wedding photography biz began when a friend and former co-worker, who had been freelancing as a wedding shooter for several years, decided to go full time with his own studio. This was a big undertaking and he needed to book as many wedding dates as possible, which meant occasional double bookings on a single day. Knowing my background in photography, he asked me to be his back up photographer. I already had a working knowledge of cameras, and more importantly lighting, and my friend would teach me what I needed to know about shooting weddings. My photographic aspirations were in a different direction, but with a newborn baby at home we needed the money, and thus began my career as a wedding photographer.

After a few years as the photographic equivalent of a relief pitcher, I made the big leap to my own freelance wedding business. Working 40 to 50 hours a week on my regular job and then spending up to 10 hours on my feet on a Saturday shooting weddings was not much fun. Add in time spent meeting with clients, sorting proofs and assembling wedding albums - my wedding business was not going to be long lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment