Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Close Up on Cruisin'


I have attended every Dream Cruise dating back to the late '90's and have always enjoyed checking out the cars as well as photographing them. However, I have never been very satisfied with the "big shot". You know what I'm taking about - the photo taken across multiple car-loaded lanes of Woodward. Other than being a record shot of having attended the Cruise, the image of the car-clogged roadway isn't one I necessarily feel the need to take year after year. In fact, for 2010 I went in the exact opposite direction, opting for the close up, very close up! On a suggestion from my wife (have to give credit where its due), I shot a series of hood ornaments from classic cars of the Thirties and Forties. These decorative hood emblems are small works of art in and of themselves, and they represent an aspect of car design that is long gone. If GM really wants to attract attention to their electric Volt maybe they should consider adding a big chrome hood ornament - Zeus tossing a lightning bolt perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment