Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Old Camera Equipment Never Dies.



If you were taking pictures back in the 20th century you may still own film based camera equipment. The picture above was taken with my old reliable Nikon FM, which I no longer own, and that is what I am here to discuss. I owned enough old equipment to fill a couple of shelves in our basement. My mistake was hanging onto the stuff too long after the world made the switch to digital. I honestly thought I might need one of those cameras someday, after all they produced beautiful negatives. "What's a negative, you ask?" Well there is the crux of the problem. Not many people are interested in those old beasts that need film loaded into their bellies for picture taking. I finally had to admit that I would never use either my 35mm or my medium format cameras again. And so, after careful consideration of my options, I decided to sell the whole kit and kaboodle to an on-line dealer. No fuss, no muss. They made me an offer on the equipment, I accepted, and the hardware shipped off using their UPS account. My check arrived soon after. The drawback - I received pennies on the dollar. Equipment I paid thousands for, sold for a few hundred. My advice - if you have old camera equipment, sell it now before it loses anymore value. Or, if you are the gambling type, hold on for a couple of decades and sell it for antiques.

No comments:

Post a Comment