Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Crop It?

Typically, when I photograph something I allow myself a little bit of extra room around my subject just in case I decide later to crop the image to improve the overall composition - the photo on the left is a good example. While wandering about downtown Rochester, I spotted this ivy covered wall and took my shot. When I reviewed the image on my computer I found the pathway edge at the bottom of the image a bit distracting. A fix was easy enough to make however. In Photoshop, I cropped in to eliminate the path and to make the window slightly larger and more dominant. While I had the file open I also darkened the image for more saturated color in both the ivy and the brickwork above the window. The shot on the right has a bit more pop to it and all it took was a couple of minor tweaks. The great thing about working digitally is that both images have been saved and I can always go back to my original and re-work it again if I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment