Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Reservations No More

Art supplies ???

In my previous post I wrote about an insightful comment made by Anthony Bourdain regarding photography. Part of my original observation was how Bourdain as a chef was probably not a visual person. I quickly deleted that foolish statement when I realized that being a chef there is a very good chance he is a visual person. After all, part of being a chef is the need to make food visually appealing - right? You see when I was growing up my mother was a housewife who spent a good portion of her day cooking. The kids came home from school, Dad came home from work, and we sat down at the table and consumed the dinner she had prepared. Mom was a good cook, I enjoyed pretty much everything she made but I never thought much about the process of cooking. Even into adulthood my wife did most of the food prep and I held up my end by eating everything put in front of me. And then things changed. I became a regular viewer of the Food Network. I discovered cooking types like Alton Brown and Guy Fieri, guys I could identify with, more importantly I discovered that cooking could be a creative endeavor just like drawing, writing or photography. And an important component was making food look appealing- the whole visual thing that has been such a big part of my life. After years of blissful ignorance I have seen the light- with the right ingredients and proper technique it is possible to make an artistic statement with a frying pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment