Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Photo VS Video


You will have to excuse me if I slip into curmudgeon mode here but I find myself
annoyed by the current advertising from camera manufacturers touting the video capabilities of their respective DSLR cameras. Maybe I am being overly sensitive, but I think that by hyping the video option they diminish the impact still photography can have. I really don't buy the idea that a video sequence is more effective than a still photo freezing a single action. One of the great charms of photography is capturing action at it's peak - forever preserving a split second in time. People sitting together sharing photos, discussing what the image means to each of them seems like time better spent than sitting passively watching a video flow by on a monitor. Between computers, TV and video games, we already spend way too much time staring at screens. I realize companies want to sell the latest hardware, and adding more bells and whistles to their cameras may help them to reach that goal. Me, I'm a purist, I'll take still photography over videography every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment