Unless otherwise noted, all images are copyright Kevin Fermoyle

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Gray Sky or Blue?

While hanging out at a local booksellers coffee shop, I paged through a British photo magazine that featured an outstanding portfolio of black and white images. I love looking at these types of features as they can often provide inspiration for my own work. One point made by the writer of the accompanying article was how a mundane color image can be taken to another level by converting it to black and white. Seems almost counter intuitive, doesn't it? A color image should tickle the optical nerves, but in fact B&W can do the same and sometimes better.

After finishing my coffee I headed home and started a search through my files for color photos that might benefit from a conversion to gray tones. One of the first candidates was "Reach for the Sky". Taken this past autumn at Bald Mountain, the starkness of the branches offers quite a contrast against the intense blue sky. Not a bad color image, what struck me was how it took on a much more ominous tone when converted to black and white. The process of making B&W photos from color originals can be an enjoyable experience in and of itself since you never know how the conversion may affect the image. Sometimes the results can be surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment